The fire that broke out at the Adelaide Girls dormitory is now burning out of control.
It has killed five girls and destroyed a number of other buildings.
Residents of the Adelaide dormitory say the blaze has been fuelled by alcohol, and that residents are struggling to contain the spread of the fire.
The fire broke out on Monday morning at around 9:00am local time (16:00 GMT).
“The fire was so bad that it had been burning for over an hour, but we have not been able to contain it, and it is still spreading,” one resident told Al Jazeera.
“There is no control, there is no safety.”
Residents say there has been an increased number of complaints from residents about noise and the lack of ventilation in the building, which houses up to 700 girls aged between 13 and 18.
Residents say the dormitory had been the site of numerous fires in the past, and this fire was no different.
A spokesman for the State Emergency Service (SES) said the fire had been extinguished by Sunday evening.
“The SES has been working to extinguish the blaze and has responded to the request from residents for assistance,” the spokesman said in a statement.
The dormitory, which is the largest in Australia, has a total capacity of 4,500 students, and the fire has led to concerns about overcrowding, according to Al Jazeera’s Jane Barlow.
“We are all in shock,” one female resident, who wished to remain anonymous, told Al JA.
A number of students are currently being held in hospital, with the number of victims believed to be rising as the blaze continues to spread. “
It’s really difficult to know if this is just a one-off or a recurring problem that we are going to have to deal with for the rest of our lives.”
A number of students are currently being held in hospital, with the number of victims believed to be rising as the blaze continues to spread.
According to a statement from the SA Health Department, one student died and three others were injured in the blaze.
“Emergency services and the SES are working with residents and staff to establish a response plan to provide emergency support,” the statement said.
“As this incident is still under investigation, additional information will be released at a later date.”
Residents are now demanding that the SA Government take steps to ensure that there are safe exits for students who may have been trapped inside the building.
“I don’t know how many people have died, but I know it is a terrible tragedy and I just want to see safety measures put in place so that everyone has a safe exit,” one student told Al Jade.
“People are dying, people are hurt, people don’t have any food and water, there are no schools to go to.
This is a major tragedy and it needs to be prevented from happening.”
Residents and other residents have also been calling for an independent investigation into the cause of the blaze, and for more funding for the firefighting efforts.
“How could anyone not have a conscience?” another resident told the ABC.
“Why are we putting up with this?
Why is it okay to burn a dormitory down?
Why don’t we do something to stop it?”
A number other local authorities have been notified, and are assisting in the response effort.
In a statement, the State Government said that the Ses and the Department of Health were currently working with SA Ambulance Service to determine the cause and circumstances of the incident.
The Ses is also providing emergency assistance to the Adelaide City Council.
The State Emergency Services said that more information would be released in due course.
Al Jazeera’s Sarah Brown reports from Adelaide.